Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Distant Relative

As I sat there patiently waiting, I could only wonder of all the things my father could have left me. He wasn’t the best gift giver, being that we didn’t agree on many presents I received from him. My dad worked as a travel tour guide. Whichever place he would go, I could always expect him to bring something back. He always thought what he had was so amazing, but those things didn’t mean that much to me.
We didn’t have that close father and son relationship. My dad was always gone from country to country and we never had the time to bond. I was jealous of seeing everyone going camping with their dad or just something as simple as watching sports together. But it wasn’t even as if we would do that when he was home. I didn’t understand how he was my father with us having such conflicting personalities. The only thing I could do was accept it because I respected him being my dad.
But now I sat here waiting in the living room of his empty apartment, waiting on the lawyer to return. I looked around remembering the things that used to be here. The rom used to be filled with many different artifacts from his trips. The ivory elephant’s tusk from his Saharan safari sat on the mantle. His couch replicated one her saw in an ancient castle. He hung an Aztec mask over the fireplace.And I was just overwhelmed by how much all these things mean to my dad. He loved everything he brought back, it was his prized possessions.
I heard footsteps coming down the hall. I assumed it was the lawyer returning with what my dad left for me. But instead it was a woman. I had never seen her before and I was curious to know what she was doing here. “Hello,” she said politely. I responded to her with a hello as well. We both just sat there awkwardly in the empty room.
Another set of footsteps came. I hoped it was the lawyer this time because I couldn’t take another new person. This time it was the lawyer. “Good morning. I’m happy that the two of you came to receive what was left from Mr. Wilson.” He then pulled out a piece of paper from his suit’s jacket. “Mr. Wilson wanted me to read the following: If you are hearing this I have passed away. Please do not mourn over my death and instead celebrate the great times we may have shared. I hope my son is here to listen to my will. I did not leave a gift this time, I thought that would be the best gift. Of course you have inherited money, but I believe over the years you have got enough of what I have brought you. I want to add I am proud of you as my son although we have not bonded so well over the years. I love you. Also I hope my sister is there— the only other person left in my family. I understand you have been having difficulties in your life, so I leave you my apartment. It is paid for and I want you to have one less problem to worry about. I love you as well.”
I was surprised for the woman to be my aunt. My dad never told me about her. It was awkward again, but at least I knew of another relative. I was satisfied with what my dad left. Him knowing what I wanted was enough of a bond for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment